Spring is nearly here, so you might be looking forward to taking your boat out on the water for the first time since putting it away for winter. Here are some tips to help get you out and enjoying your boat as soon as possible. Taking your time to perform these steps will help ensure your safety and will give you the opportunity to discover whether you’ll need to seek out the services of boat repair shops in Texas before taking your boat out for a ride:
- Change the oil if you haven’t recently: If you didn’t change your oil before putting your boat in storage for the winter, it’s a good idea to do it before using your boat for the first time this spring. You can also switch out your oil filter at the same time. And of course, be sure to test your engine to ensure that it seems to be working properly.
- Clean and polish your boat: Clean your boat’s exterior with a boat cleaner and then apply a new coating of wax. If your boat has any elements made of metal or wood, you’ll want to polish these accordingly. But before you do, check them carefully to see if they will need repair or restoration.
- Perform an overall safety check: Do you need to purchase additional life jackets for friends or family who may be joining you on your boat this spring and summer? If so, you’ll want to take care of this before your first boat trip. Also, check that fire extinguishers and other safety-related devices are functioning correctly and located in an accessible spot.
- Be sure your electronics are working properly: Do you use a radio, GPS or other electronic devices on your boat? Be sure they’re all in good working order. Also, don’t forget to check that your boat’s battery is functioning properly.
- Look over all material surfaces: Take your time to look over your boat’s cover, top and seats for any rips, mildew or other dirt that may have developed during your boat’s downtime. If you come across anything that needs to be fixed, perform the needed repairs or cleaning before using your boat for the first time.
- Don’t neglect the hull: Look closely at the hull to see if it has developed any cracks or residue that need to be repaired. If you notice any cracks or troublesome residue, you’ll want to have these examined and fixed by a boat repair shop before setting out on the water.
After performing these steps, does your boat still need some attention from boat repair shops in Texas? Or, maybe your boat is in good shape but you want to be proactive and identify an expert you can trust for when the time does come for repairs.
Northwest Fiberglass Inc. is proud to offer high-quality fiberglass boat repairs, gel coat repairs and finishing services at competitive prices. We are dedicated to superior craftsmanship and go the extra mile to provide our customers with top-notch repairs and finishing services. Contact us today to schedule service or to request a quote!
Categorised in: Boat Repair Shops
This post was written by Writer